Tuesday, January 27, 2015

[Edited] My English Language Journey

 

I was never that child who loved reading Enid Blyton or Roald Dahl books. I recall my mum nagging to me about the importance of reading and complaining about how I never bothered opening any of those books. I spoke broken English and only used basic English in my essays whereas my classmates' essays were flooded with a wide range of vocabulary. Up till today, I regret for not having the love to read since young.

As I advanced to secondary education, I chose english literature as one of my core subjects. Attending Literature classes really changed my attitude towards reading. Even though we were only required to examine 2 texts for O Levels, my tutor consistently recommended classic novels to the class. I was really curious and interested in those classic novels which led me to buy novels such as Dracula and Frankenstein. I was amazed by the writing techniques as well as flow of the story itself. Reading classic novels gave me an insight of how life was centuries ago. Since then I have always been intrigued by classic writings and I could not bring myself to appreciate modern writers such as Nicholas Sparks.

From the new interest and love I had for reading, my English improved. I was able to write academically decent narratives. However, I still faced problems with argumentative essays which resulted in my unsatisfactory grade for General Paper. Sadly, I have been trained to only focus on achieving a good final grade. I was unable to enjoy the process of learning which led me to think that English will always be a burden in my life. My journey to improve English is still a long way ahead and I hope that ES1102 lessons will encourage me to persevere and work harder in the near future.
 
[301 words]

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment