Wednesday, January 21, 2015

My English Language Journey

Just something I came across which I would like to share :)


I was never that child whom had her face plastered onto Enid Blyton or Roald Dahl books. I recall my mum nagging to me about the importance of reading and complaining about how I never bothered opening any of those books. I spoke broken English and only used basic English in my essays whereas my classmates' essays were flooded with a wide range of vocabulary. Up till today, I still regret for not  developing the love for reading since young.

As I advanced to Secondary education, I chose English Literature as one of my core subjects. Attending Literature classes really changed my attitude towards reading. Even though we were only required to examine 2 texts for O Levels, my tutor consistently recommended classic novels to the class. I was really curious and interested hence I bought books such as Dracula and Frankenstein. The flow of the writings and how the phrases are connected fluidly amazed me. When reading such novels, I feel as though I am in another era. Since then I have always been intrigued by classic writings and I could not bring myself to appreciate modern writers such as Nicholas Sparks.


From the new interest and love for reading, my English definitely improved. I was able to write academically decent narratives. However, I still faced problems with argumentative essays which resulted in my unsatisfactory grade for General Paper. Unfortunately, I have been trained to only focus on my grade at the end and I was unable to enjoy the process of learning which led me to think that English will always be a burden in my life. My journey to improve English is still a long way ahead and I hope that ES1102 lessons will fuel me to persevere thus keep heading forward.

(295 words)

8 comments:

  1. It's a flawless essay:) I like your contents and organization. There is no grammatical error as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy! Thank you for reading my post :) I do not think it is flawless and I feel that I still have a lot to improve on ㅠ__ㅠ

      Delete
  2. Your article is concise and does respond to the assignment:)
    content is well-organised too W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thank you for reading my post :) I am certain that there are more things I can improve on!

      Delete
  3. Your content is well-organised and does respond to the tittle^^
    I like your language as it is really fluent !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you, Hazwani, for this generally clear reflection. You focus well on the importance that reading literature has had on you during your English learning journey. I'm glad to discover that. However, I'm curious why you would be more interested in the so-called classics that in contemporary lit. In fact, when you mentioned that you are a fan of Dracula and Frankenstein, I asked myself if the Twilight series would have also been on your reading list. Then I think I found the answer….

    There are a few language issues in this post (Cindy's assessment notwithstanding):

    1) ...I was never that child whom had her face plastered…. > (word form/sentence structure)

    2) I still regret for not developing…. > (collocation)

    3) As I advanced to Secondary education, I chose English Literature…. > (capitalization)

    4) I was really curious and interested hence I bought books such as Dracula and Frankenstein. > (sentence structure)

    5) The flow of the writings and how the phrases are connected fluidly amazed me. > (verb tense/word use)

    6) When reading such novels, I feel as though I am in another era. > ?

    7) paragraph #5 > verb tense

    Let's talk about this.

    I look forward to reading more of your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hazwani!

    I really enjoyed reading your post as it is fluent and I can relate to the despair you felt when you cannot get a satisfactory grade despite working so hard for it.

    However, do not be disheartened because I can see that you can write well and with your new found love for reading, writing will only get better! (: I find it really impressive that you prefer classic novels over modern day novels!

    I am sure with hard work and persistence, we will all improve and will leave the class as better writers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hazwani!

    I enjoyed reading about your personal experience, how your interest in English language came after you took up literature in secondary schools. Like what Brad mentioned,that were several errors but i have to admit that i could not identify some of the mistakes he picked up. Something that caught my attention was
    "When reading such novels, I feel as though I am in another era." I think we understand what you are trying to say and i would have written the same way. After some consideration, maybe it can be written as "when reading such novels, i feel as though i am being sent back in time into another era."

    Read your comment on my post. I will share some of my personal experiences here. Similarly to you,i took up English literature in upper secondary and i was not a person who liked to read when i was young. I was interested in English literature because it was subject which will make me think more when i read, to come out with analysis and to be able to come out with points and evidence to support my analysis.
    Up till now, i do not read often. I have struggled in GP in Junior college too as language was not as strong and i often got marked down. If i had been more hardworking when i was young, i would not have to spend extra time now in trying to improve my English language.

    Lets work hard together and we will all improve and have something to take away from this course:)

    ReplyDelete