Sunday, March 8, 2015

An Influential Event


I was in secondary 2 when I was dared by my friends to sing on stage. I have always loved singing but I never had the courage to sing in front of a crowd. My friends signed me up for the school talent competition.
Prior to the competition, I was really anxious about messing up my performance or embarrassing myself. I had a fear that the entire school population would be criticizing me after my performance. My friends were really supportive and motivating when I was rehearsing for my performance.
When I went up the stage for the first time, my entire body was shaking. I held onto my guitar and started singing ‘Mama Do’ by Pixie Lott. My feelings were different when I started singing. I was no longer nervous, and I became more comfortable which led me to perform smoothly. I was more encouraged when the audience started clapping and singing along to me. My first vocal performance on stage was not as terrible as I imagined it to be. Although I did not win the competition, I gained a lot of exposure and experience from a mere school talent performance.
From then onwards, I gained a lot of courage to join other competitions and to upload videos of myself singing on Facebook. I received a lot of positive feedbacks and useful criticisms which helped me improve in my hobby that is singing. That event made me realise that I need to stop worrying about how others think about me and have more confidence in myself.
 
 
[258 words]

4 comments:

  1. Hi Hazwani, you are really brave to sing on stage. I wonder if I would have the courage to stand on stage without trembling. I think you must did a great job that the audience sing along with you. By the way, I really like "Mama Do" as well!!!
    I feel that your essay was indeed written with heart that you are really passionate about singing. If you never sing in front of so many people, you may not have the motivation to film videos of yourself singing later on. Well done:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it was a good read as I was able to find out your secret talent and hopefully you will sing for us in class yeah :p I was able to relate to you when you mentioned that you are worry that the entire school would criticize your performance and glad for you that you had overcome it and become even more confident in your singing now (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are really really brave to perform on stage. Moreover, it is even more difficult for a person to perform by himself or herself on the stage. I am glad that you had this experience as you are able to grow and improve, not only singing wise, but also character wise.
    You have definitely written this with "heart" because of how you managed to describe how you felt, the change in those feelings when you started to sing. This really shows how vivid you had remembered about this event. You went on to describe how you managed to grow after this and it shows personal reflection, how you grew after that event.

    ReplyDelete