Monday, April 20, 2015

Individual Presentation Reflection

When I found out that I had to do a presentation on my essay topic, I became anxious. I do not feel comfortable having the idea of talking in front of an audience, in a formal setting. Time was also not on my side as I was busy finishing up projects from other modules while trying to prepare for this presentation.

At the start of my presentation, I felt that my pace was good and I had the confidence of delivering my presentation. However, I started stumbling in the middle of my presentation. I had an inner conflict of trying to remember my content but at the same time trying to make my presentation as engaging as possible. Thankfully, I had my slides to back me up when my mind blanked out all of a sudden. The rest of the presentation went smoothly and I managed to present everything I intended to share to my audience.

The feedback session at the end of my presentation was really helpful for me. Brad and my tutorial mates pointed out not only my faults but also the strength in my presentation. Honestly, I felt really horrible because I failed to do a smooth and flawless presentation which I expected myself to do. I even regretted not preparing enough for it. They also suggested on specific ways which I could improve on, in my presentation. Pointing out my good points lifted my spirit too as I realised that I'm not a complete failure at presentations. Also, the feedback allowed me to immediately internalize the improvements suggested which will enable me to amend the mistakes I made during my presentations, in mind.


All in all, the presentation might have not been a graded section of this module. However, I cannot deny that it helped me in various ways. I learned various techniques and effective methods of presentations while watching my other tutorial mates present their topic ideas. For example, the colour of your fonts, the use of videos, the use of personal stories and many more. This experience will undeniably benefit me in my future presentations.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for the detailed reflection, Hazwani.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Hazwani, good job on your presentation, these are the feedback given by the class:

    1) Good examples used
    2) The tone and pace set in the first half of the presentation was good, resulting in a good flow. The second half was not as smooth as you was trying to recall your content but the use of slides helped you with that, resulting in a well organised presentation that the audience is able to catch on easily. Good recovery even when you lost track.
    3) However, do note that presentation slides should have a parallel structure and the occasion use of fillers.
    4) For the ending, instead of saying 'Don't be racist', perhaps you can remind the audience to be more aware of their actions and comments towards the other races.
    5) The audience also can sense your passion and interest for the topic, a quality possess by a good presenter.

    All the best for finals (:

    ReplyDelete